Five Corners was name because of five roads forming a junction here at a point where several streams converge to form Broad Brook. Several industries were busy here from the mid-1800s to the turn of the century, including saw and grist mills, chair stock and butter tub factory, and a blacksmith shop. School No. 3 was located here.
In 1855, William Hankerson found gold in the stream here, but the Civil War forestalls any serious mining until 1878. That year the Plymouth Gold Mining Company was formed and for a few years a small gold rush stimulated the economy of the section, promoting some new industries, as well as the Glen House Hotel.
For awhile, asbestos was mined and soapstone was quarried in the locality. Today, little evidence of the once-busy mineral activity and the early mills and manufacturing enterprises remains.
This photo was taken the day of the first RFD mail delivery to Five Corners in 1896. Just above the mail box are the schoolhouse and blacksmith shop. The road leads to Bradley Hill, present site of Coolidge State Park.